Sunday, August 7

Kugelhopf


I am so glad to be back and especially with some nice recipes ahead.

This weekend, I was looking through a 'Homes and Gardens' magazine in the local tea-room and found something that cheered me up right away. A small collection of recipes(Hot Cross Buns, Brioche, Kugelhopf and some savoury ones - Focaccia and Naan bread). The lady owner was very kind and lent me the magazine, so I did not hesitate and ran to the nextdoor village to my favourite cookshop and bought a 'fluted cake tin' (for me - Kugelhopf tin) - to make this delicious poppyseed and almond 'Kugelhopf'. ( I am hoping you can recognize it in the picture above).

Recipe (from 'Homes and Gardens' magazine):
makes 1 medium round cake(23-25cm diameter)

4 large eggs(beaten)
200 g vanilla sugar (or sugar and drop of vanilla essence)
1tsp almond essence
125g ground almonds
175g plain flour (should be sieved but not important)
50g poppy seeds
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (or 1 x 7g sachet easy-bake yeast)
1/4 tsp sea-salt
butter to grease a 'kugel'(babka or ring) tin if it is NOT non-stick
icing sugar for dusting

Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
Heat water in a large wok to a hand-hot temperature. Prepare a large mixing bowl and immerse it into this wok with hand-hot water.
With an electric beater, whisk eggs, sugar and essence for 2-3 min. until smooth and light. Put the beater aside and take a spatula to mix in almonds, flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, soda and salt. Fold and mix through until all combined.
Pour the mixture (which will be quite runny, so don't be alarmed) into a greased tin(or non-stick tin) and baked for 30 min. or so until golden and firm to touch. Check with a skewer whether it comes out clean.
Leave to cool and with a plastic spatula, help to pull the edges off of the side of the tin. Then invert onto a plate and dust with sugar and serve sliced with coffee, lemon tea or a dessert wine.

6 Comments:

Anonymous keiko said...

Welcome back Dreska - I'm happy to see your wonderful drawings again ;)

5:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome Blog! I added you to my bookmarks. Feel free to check out my Playstation 3 Blog anytime!

6:46 pm  
Blogger Ana said...

Almond and poppy seed....mmmm...I have to try this recipe!

9:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about blue cheese slaw
. You can check it out at blue cheese slaw



Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

5:45 am  
Anonymous Ivonne said...

Your drawings are so beautiful!

2:43 am  
Anonymous sexual intercourse said...

Hey, there is a lot of useful info above!

8:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

online
Online Dating