Friday, August 19

Gypsy tart (Treacle tart)


gypsy tart

Do you need a sugar fix? This is one of the best ones on the earth - gypsy tart or some people know it as treacle tart. And if you think, no way, just read on.

First time that I have been offered to try it here in England was completely destroyed by the appearance of the tart. It was thick, chunky and swimming in cream (as cakes are traditonally served by a majority here! sorry :)). I , however, tried it and ......was, unfortunately, not taken by the taste either. So, I abandoned this great of the English favourites until NOW.
This was the time when I WAS nicely surprised.
I saw these beautiful golden little tarts decorated with fresh fruit and mint leaves. When I looked closer, it said - mini treacle tarts! This was definitely a new chance to try them out again as they were so delicious-looking.
They also were much thinner, more delicate and they were not served with cream, but rather lightened up by fresh fruit. The taste was reinvented by a touch of ground almonds as opposed to using just breadcrumbs.

So, here it is ( I made it in one large piece as I didn't have separate little tartlet tins)


whizzmixbake Posted by Picasa

Recipe:
Preheat the oven to 190 degrees/fan 170 degrees/gas 5.

Ingredients:
150 g golden syrup
50 g fresh breadcrumbs
40 g ground almonds
1 large egg
4 tbsp double cream
vanilla essence
fresh fruit (strawberry, kiwi, mandarin, mint leaves)
Mix the breadcrumbs with ground almonds with your hand. Add the remaining igredients and mix thoroughly with a spatula. Leave on the side until you make the pastry.

Sweet pastry:
75 g butter, softened
3 tbsp icing sugar
1 large egg yolk
115 plain flour
Mix these ingredients with an electric mixer on number 1(slow) to get a nice elastic pastry. Then dust the worktop with some flour and roll the pastry out. If you are making small tartlets, divide the pastry into 6 pieces and roll out into circles. Keep turning the pastry and dusting it, so it does not stick to the surface. Once done, transfer the pastry into the tins, leaving a higher edge (as we will fill the tarlets later). Prick the pastry with a fork all over. Put baking sheet (cut to size, leaving high edges) into the tarlets, on top of the pastry and fill with beans onto paper, spreading the beans right to the edge. This baking is called - 'baking blind'. Bake for 10 min. Then take the paper edges and lift the paper with beans out of the tarlets.
At this point, you can either leave the pastries on the side or put them back into the oven to bake a little more.(only up to 4-5 min.). I found the pastries were too hard, so next time I will leave without additional baking.
Pour your mixture into the tarlets and bake about 15 minutes until golden brown.

Decorate the tarlets or the tart with fresh fruit (strawberries cut in halves, segmented mandarins without skin, kiwis into slices, maybe pineapple into thin slices). Start decorating from the middle of the big tart laying strawberry halves next to each other, alternating with mandarins and 2 kiwi slices which we stand up in between the fruits. Finally, add mint leaves in the middle.

17 Comments:

Blogger Ana said...

Dreska, that tart looks delicious. Why call it gypsy? It is the first time I hear that name!

3:25 pm  
Blogger Andrea said...

Hi Ana,
I have heard this name, so I just used it. But I think, it is because it is quite a simple, peasant-like tart, inexpensive to make, if used only with breadcrumbs. (No offence to anybody.)

5:20 pm  
Blogger chronicler said...

Mmmm this looks very good Dreska! I've got some treacle now I know what to do with it!

1:29 am  
Anonymous pascale said...

Hi,
Your treacle tart looks really good. However, gypsy tart is something quite different : it's evaporated milk with muscavado sugar baked in a shortpastry case. It was served a lot in schools in Kent.
Pascale (french but married to a british man and mad about english food).

10:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pascale is correct, Gypsy tart is a Kentish pudding and not atall like treacle tart.

3:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

school memories flood back with the mention of Gypsy Tart. I found the recipe for this on the internet and cook it often.I went to school in Bexleyheath in Kent and had Gypsy Tart served on many occasions which explains why I have more fillings than teeth. Now I live in Yorkshire and no one seems to have heard of it

12:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the others. I come from kent, where the Gypsy Tart origionates, and Treacle Tart is something completely different to Gypsy Tart. Gypsey Tart is made of Evaporated Milk and muscovado sugar, with no variations.

Gypsy Tart kicks Treacle Tarts butt!

Beverly Sedge-Hillsh

4:02 pm  
Anonymous j whyatt said...

I haven't had Gypsy Tart for years, my friend Eleanie in Bromley Kent when I moved thereuse to make them..yummy...mmmmmmmmm!!
I have always had Treacle Tart, from years ago living in Cheshire, which is nice if then pastry is then!!!but no comparison in taste!!!
I will be making it again now I have the recipe..can't wait...

Jo from Staines

4:02 pm  
Anonymous Alison Funnell said...

I had it as part of school dinners growing up in East Kent in the 70's. Delicious, wickedly sweet and always served at school with half a fresh apple to 'clean' our teeth afterwards.

7:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gypsy and treacle tart are totally different pudding's

2:35 am  
Anonymous Tasha said...

Hi, i've been looking for the recipe for Gypsy tart for ages. I went to Farringtons in Kent, only finished about 4 years ago but been wanting this pud ever since!! Has anybody got the recipe for it?? Pls leave a comment if so!

8:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this tart isn't at all of the gypsy variety. Just stick with treacle tart in naming. A gypsy tart is something entirely different, made with just two ingredients for the filling. I shd know as it is an old school favourite of mine and many of my school pals. Oh BTW I'm from Berkshire, not far from Kent I know. But all the local bakeries sell this item there.....so is it a Kentish delicacy or a Berkshire?

5:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm also Kentish and that's not a gypsy tart, it's a treacle tart. I live in Finland now - you think you miss them in Yorkshire!

5:27 pm  
Anonymous Emily said...

Maybe I'm missing something as an American, but in your pastry ingredients, for the amount of flour, it says 115. 115 what? Someone help me out. I've had trouble finding many recipes for treacle tart until I came across this, and I'd love to try it.

9:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a few of the previous comments have mentioned, this is NOT Gypsy tart, which is made with muscavado sugar and evaporated milk. What you have here is Treacle tart. Ours was always made with dessicated coconut instead of ground almonds. Both tarts are truly delicious.

3:53 pm  
Anonymous Patricia said...

Has anybody got the recipe?
I also had gypsy tart as pudding at school and have been living in Australia for many years and miss it!! I would love to know the recipe.

5:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gypsy tart!
1 tin 410g evaporated milk
350g dark muscavado sugar

whisk till thick and stands in peaks, (about fifteen mins!)
bake in a pie crust for 10 mins at 200/gas6.
leave to completly set and cool.
eat it all!!!

4:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

online
Online Dating