Tuesday, August 16

Breakfast muffin


breakfast muffin Posted by Picasa

I am on a mission to find a perfect recipe for muffins of all types. It is proving a little tricky as there are so many variations of mixes. So I came to a conclusion that you have to experiment and adjust the recipe until it is as you want it.

I am looking for that authentic 'every-coffee-shop-has-it' muffin that I can create at home. Well, let's see how it evolves with time to come.

The above 'Breakfast muffin' is one of my favourites. I like muffins that surprise me with their taste and hidden bits. Just like the one above. It has carrots, apple, ginger, nutmeg, nuts, raisins, oats .. - every mouthful is different.

But if we take a peek into the culinary history of muffins, we will find that muffins were once upon a time quite small and plain with maybe raisins and nuts. There was a set line of muffins like bran, blueberry, apple, corn, date, oatmeal. It was only in 70-ies and 80-ies that muffins grew 3 or 4 times their normal size, big American muffins as we know them today.


Recipe:
Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.

Ingredients:
3 large eggs (I used 4)
1/4 cup brown sugar (I would use 1/2 cup, otherwise they are only a little sweet)
1/2 cup veg.oil
2 tsp vanilla extract(essence)
Whisk them together with an electric mixer.
Add and mix in with a spatula:
1 medium carrot(peeled and grated)
1 large apple (peeled and grated)
Add and mix in with a spatula:
1/2 cup raisins(golden best)
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup wheat-germ (if you don't have it, just use flour)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Fill in the muffin tray cups to the top(not over). They will rise nicely.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Nicky said...

Dear Dreska,
please let me know, once you found the perfect muffin recipe! I tried quite a few, but didn't find THE recipe yet. I bought my role model of a muffin at a little coffee shop years ago in San Diego (one lemon poppy seed, one blueberry), they've been sooo lucious and beautifully shaped ... 'Never again found/baked something similar ;(

7:05 pm  
Blogger Andrea said...

Well, I really like 'Starbucks' muffins here in England. Their shape as well.
I have one original recipe - coffee and raspberry muffin which tastes delicious.
I am going to try it today again with following it properly. Last time I had them on the top oven shelf, need to be in the middle.
So, wish me luck!

10:38 am  
Blogger Selina said...

Interested in Cooking? Need a new recipe for Thanksgiving or an unusual present for Christmas for the cook that has it all? Let me tell you about a cookbook that is older than you and me together, but still has more value that most cookbooks that are out on the marke these days. It is called America Cookery. It is the first cookbook of American authorship to be printed in the United States. Numerous recipes that adapt traditional dishes by substituting native American ingredients such as corn meal and squash are printed here for the first time, including "Indian Slapjack," "Johny Cake," and "Squash Pudding." Simmons's "Pompkin Pudding," baked in a crust, is the basis for the classic American pumpkin pie. It is awesome. I bought it and y family and friends loved and envied the sudden knowledge that I displayed and the tasty treats that I was able to make with this treasure. Thank you to the person who made it available for immediate download. Happy holidays from Selina and family.

1:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about fromage brie
. You can check it out at fromage brie



Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

5:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

online
Online Dating