Sunday, May 8

Polenta fishcakes


fishcakes

When I go shopping for food, I just love stopping at the fresh fish counter and buying all kinds of fish. For me (middle Europian), living near the sea is quite an experience.
So I usually spend quite a lot of money as I want to try different types of fish.

This time, I decided to make some fishcakes out of smoked haddock, white haddock and salmon.
I don't know where the fishcakes in fact originate. But I thought I would give it a slightly italian feel with the polenta covering. It is also known as cornmeal or ground maize. It is yellow and slightly gritty. (see pic below)

fishcakes covered in polenta Posted by Hello

Polenta is used as a alternative to pasta, potatoes or rice and is usually cooked as a meal in the form of firm wedges, which can be also grilled.(see the link) Those are then served with meat or grilled veg.
I also like using it instead of breadcrumbs as it makes a very fine and light covering.

Fishcakes ingredients:
1 white haddock - poached with the skin up together with smoked haddock
1 smoked haddock - poached, skin up (milk to cover the fish and the rest of the veg - 2 sliced carrots, 1 sliced leek, 1 tbsp peppecorns, 2 bay leaves, fresh parsley, splash of white wine or white wine vinegar)
2 pieces of salmon
(grilled plain, no oil!)
2 tbsp fresh coriander
splash of tabasco sauce
splash of fish sauce(nam pla)
roughly mashed potatoes (5 large potatoes cooked)
black pepper
2 eggs (1 for salmon, 1 for haddock mixture)
1-2 tbsp of flour
(1 for salmon - smaller mixture, 1-2 for haddock)
polenta (1/2 bag in a plate)

Prepare 2 bowls as we are making 2 types of fishcakes. Salmon fishcakes and smoked haddock fishcakes. And then, basically, you just mix in all the ingredients.
You can leave it to stand for 1/2 hour covered with a cling film or just form cakes straigh away (if you are too hunugry as I was!)
Pat them between your hands and put them into the polenta and cover both sides and the edges.
Heat virgin olive oil in a large frying pan(preferebaly non-stick) and add the fishcakes. Fry from both sides until golden brown (about 3-5 minutes).

Serve with freshly cut salad and some cheese (haloumi- salty or mozarella- salted, peppered and olive oiled and freshly chopped-basiled, :) ).

2 Comments:

Blogger Ana said...

Thanks for the idea. Yesterday I got my new refrigerator. At the end of the day I discovered that I had left a box of frozen filets on the counter. By that time it was, of course, all thawed. Not being a big fish eater, I was wondering what the heck to do with them. These fishcakes seem good and not too difficult to make.

2:13 pm  
Anonymous Tea said...

I can't wait to try out your recipe! It looks nice and crispy on the outside...yummy. =)

7:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

online
Online Dating