Friday, March 18

Sugar High Friday!


Caramel Queen slices Posted by Hello

And it's Friday - sugar high! (SHF). This is my first entry and I hope you'll love it too!
This recipe is known in quite a few countries (as I found out) but under different names - Millionaire's Shortcake(shortcake base) or just simply Chocolate Caramel Cake.

I think it deserves the name it has on my blog as it is the best caramel I have ever tasted.
Smooth soft caramel lusciously spread over the oat base (not too soft/not too hard) with a bitter dark chocolate crown on top.
It is beautifully complemented in the texture as well as giving nice contrasts of the sweetness in the base, caramel and dark chocolate.

Oat base ingredients:
100-120 g margarine
50 g dark muscovado sugar
120 g plain flour (glute-free can be used as well)
40 g rolled oats
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
Mix all the ingredients together (margarine and sugar first, then add the oats and finally the flour).
Prepare a square(20x20cm) cake tin (I use a baking dish). Butter the tin(dish) and line it with a baking paper. It should stick nicely. Then with your fingertips, press the mixture into the tin evenly and bake about 20 min. until golden brown. Once bakes, cool.

Soft Caramel ingredients:
2 large tbsp butter
2 large tbsp dark muscovado sugar
1 can condensed milk (you can use a low-fat one too)

Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat, add sugar and stir until the sugar lumps are gone.
Then add the condensed milk, increase the heat and constantly stir until in few minutes the mixture start to thicken and darken. It thicken very quickly, so be ready to take it off the heat quickly.
Spread the caramel over the oat base and put aside.

Chocolate topping ingredients:
2 tbsp butter
splash of milk
200 g dark chocolate (Lindt or other good quality)

Melt the ingredients above a low heat, if too runny, add cocoa powder and a little sugar and a little butter.
Use a spoon to drizzle and splash the chocolate with vigorous movement onto the cake(different directions, like Jackson Pollock's 'action painting) - see the picture above.

Leave to cool and then you can lift the cake out by the baking paper, peel it off, cut in squares and it's ready to be served.

Hope you'll enjoy it as much as my family!

14 Comments:

Blogger Zarah Maria said...

OMG Dreska! I've done almost exactly the same thing! Great minds think alike, eih?;-)

7:05 am  
Blogger Nic said...

Mm... bittsweet chocolate and caramel! Yum!

12:45 am  
Blogger Niki said...

I've also done almost the same thing too! Evidently we all had a craving!

3:13 am  
Blogger chronicler said...

Dreska, They sound wonderful. I've never tasted these scrumptous little morsels. Must try recipe!

2:30 am  
Blogger Ana said...

Dreska, two of my very favourite ingredients...oatmeal and condensed milk. Thank you! This is a recipe I will try for sure.

12:51 pm  
Blogger Andrea said...

Oh yes, please try these. They really are so moorish!

12:57 pm  
Anonymous keiko said...

Hi Dreska - thank you for leaving comments on my site. I LOVE your blog, it's so pretty! Do you do all the drawings? You're such a talented girl! I'm glad that you live in the UK too...

7:14 pm  
Blogger Andrea said...

Thank you Keiko.
Yes, I do all the pictures in MsPaint as I haven't got digi-camera yet. I am just looking to buy one but will definitely continue with mspaint too.

7:30 pm  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Dreska, this cake sounds amazing! Such a great comhination of chocolate, caramel and oatmeal can't be bad, though, of course! Thanks so much for sharing this fabulous recipe with us this month - hope to see you next month with SHF once again!

12:08 am  
Blogger Carolyn said...

your art work is as good as your recipes! and your cake sounds delicious.

8:54 pm  
Blogger Internet Marketer Azhar said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! I'll be sure to bookmark it and visit regularly, keep up the great work!

Please visit my site if you get some time: webmasterworld

4:29 am  
Blogger hassan said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! I'll make sure to bookmark it and visit regularly. Keep up the great work!

Please visit my site if you get some time: Resell Rights eBooks

7:43 pm  
Blogger Shia Source said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! Keep up the good work! I'll be sure to visit regularly.

Please visit my site if you get some time: Shia

3:28 am  
Anonymous hyip's said...

Hi Dreska!

Great post on Sugar High Friday!. I'm gonna bookmark this blog and make sure I visit regularly!

Please check my site out if you get some time: Resell Rights eBooks

2:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

online
Online Dating