Monday, March 14

A La Mexicana


enchiladas Posted by Hello

Over the last few days, I was getting quite a bit of the mexican feel.
First, it was with salsa dancing all Friday night and then on Sunday, me and my hubbie were invited to a lovely mexican restaurant in Canterbury (Cafe des Ami) by our friends from London.

Last time, I was in Canterbury, it was a fine dining experience in the County hotel, which was all very 'top class', but dining with your friends just cannot be beaten by anything.
Loud spanish music, small wooden tables (all very compact), laughing, talking, in one word - relaxed.

The food was superb! Three of us have chosen the same meal - Enchiladas filled with spinach, green beans, mushrooms, topped with freshly cooked tomatoe sauce and grilled haloumi cheese.
My hubby had some saffron risotto with king prawns (I must go there again since I didn't very much concentrate on the menu, having not seen our friends for such a long time).

For afters, we had this soooo simple and so refreshing (and quite healthy) fruit with a chocolate dip ('fondue' would sound much better but I believe it has to be cooking in front us in that fondue 'kit').

It went all tooo quickly (one of these flying visits) but it left me with a new inspiration for vegetarian meals.

So here is my version of these Veggie enchiladas:

Main ingredients:
corn tortillas
freshly cooked tomatoe sauce
sauteed musrooms with garlic
grilled haloumi cheese
steamed green beans
steamed spinach


Tomatoe sauce:
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 onion(finely chopped)
5 garlic cloves (crushed)
mixed herbs
olive oil
ground pepper

Heat olive oil in a pan until hot, add onion and fry for 1-2 minute. Add herbs, garlic and stir. Add tomatoes right away, so that garlic doesn't burn.

Sauteed mushrooms:
2 hanfuls of slices mushrooms
5-6 garlic cloves (crushed)
mixed herbs, chilli, ground pepper, salt
olive oil

Again, heat oil until hot add mushrooms and salt. When the mushrooms start sweating, add garlic, herbs, chilli, pepper. Cook until soft.

Green beans, spinach:
Steam the beans over a saucepan with boiling water until firm, but cooked. Take out and then add the spinach for a minute.
Chop the spinach and mix it with mushrooms.

Grilled haloumi cheese:
Cut haloumi in 1cm thick slices, brush with olive oil, salt and grill under hot grill until golden brown.

Now, prepare corn tortillas, lay them on the surface and start filling. Spread some spinach mix over the middle of the tortilla, lay green beans in bunches, again spinach and wrap.
Put 3 of these wraps on the plate and pour the hot tomatoe sauce over it. Top with grilled cheese.

For a dessert, it is simply fruit nicely prepared with a hot chocolate sauce in the middle to dip in.
But if you fancy something more filling, here is one recipe I have found:
http://dessert.allrecipes.com/az/BnnsFstrChimichngs.asp
Bananas Foster Chimichangas - with rum, brown sugar, wrapped and fried.

18 Comments:

Blogger aude said...

With such a name, The Café des amis has to be a nice place !

11:06 am  
Blogger Nic said...

I'm surprised that the same restaurant would serve both saffron risotto and enchiladas! Nevertheless, your rendition of them sounds tasty. I've actually made the Bananas Foster Chimichangas - without the final deep fry. I just brushed the tortillas with butter and cinnamon sugar, baked them in a muffin tin until they were crispy and bowl-shaped, and put the banana mix inside. Yum!

10:50 pm  
Blogger Dreska said...

Yeah, I am not so sure about that saffron either, I was probably talking more than remembering our menu choices..:?
And your banana chimichangas sound much healthier, just like your lovely cottage cheescake.
Thanks.

2:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a organic food site/blog. It pretty much covers organic food related stuff.

7:03 am  
Blogger www.k-and-ktreasures.com said...

I just came across your blog about front brakes and I think it is really informative for all of your members. You could consider visiting my site about front brakes to guide your guests towards products and services related to front brakes. Keep up the good work!

5:10 pm  
Anonymous Vigaplus erectile dysfunction cure said...

salsa is always fun, i love different dance forms and salsa is one of them...

6:10 am  
Anonymous Profollica hair restoration system said...

. I just brushed the tortillas with butter and cinnamon sugar, baked them in a muffin tin until they were crispy and bowl-shaped, and put the banana mix inside.

7:43 pm  
Anonymous Digestit colon cleansing medicine said...

Wow! This is so many! I am really glad and grateful to you for posting this.

3:15 am  
Anonymous Spermomax sperm pills review said...

Three of us have chosen the same meal - Enchiladas filled with spinach, green beans, mushrooms, topped with freshly cooked tomatoe sauce and grilled haloumi cheese.

12:21 pm  
Anonymous Vigaplus best herbal ED product said...

Mexican food was superb.From the whole post, the food reminds me about the experience.

5:19 am  
Anonymous hcg buy online said...

I love different dance forms and salsa is one of them...HCG Blue Drops, the Faster and Natural way to lose weight...

10:58 am  
Anonymous Niconot anti smoking pills said...

oh. Very colorful post . I like it .

8:45 pm  
Anonymous Compare prevent premature ejaculation pills said...

It went all tooo quickly (one of these flying visits) but it left me with a new inspiration for vegetarian meals.

4:11 am  
Anonymous Buy Niconot anti smoking pills said...

It went all tooo quickly (one of these flying visits) but it left me with a new inspiration for vegetarian meals.

12:59 pm  
Anonymous Recumbent exercise bike reviews said...

wow it seems to be a good recipe. I will try it

7:35 pm  
Anonymous Celebrity Gossip said...

Haha your after reading your article i suddenly am very hungry. And of course i would like some nachos

12:06 pm  
Anonymous Plaque attack for dogs said...

Nice photos man. I am really hungry right now because of your article. I think its time for me to eat.

8:15 pm  
Anonymous Compare prevent premature ejaculation pills said...

they were crispy and bowl-shaped, and put the banana mix inside.

12:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

online
Online Dating