Thursday, March 10

Chocolate cake and literature


chockie cake Posted by Hello

Oh, yes, they have a lot in common, indeed. Eating whilst reading.
So, before you retire to read your favourite book, don't forget to quickly mix this even quicker recipe and pop it in the oven on 180 degrees.

You might think - aah, not another chocolate cake, how boring!
But is it really, I thought, when I looked at a new recipe(found in 'Good Food' magazine) of this dark, mouthwatering cake which says - afternoon tea, sofa, only me and that cake and a nice book, food magazine to read...The dark colour itself seduces you slowly.
It is irresistible warm or cold, with tinned strawberries and maybe an ice-cream...

I have changed it a little and added my own ingredients to it:
150 g butter
250 milk
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
100 g cocoa powder
200 g self-raising flour
100 g ground almonds
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
220 g of golden caster sugar or and demerara sugar
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
Mix everything together for 2 minutes and put into a non-stick cake tin, into the preheated oven on 180 degrees and leave about 45 minutes to bake.

icing sugar (top of the cake)
strawberry jam (middle of the cake)
ice-cream (next to the cake)

tinned strawberries (over the cake)

Ok, here's a quick quizz that I recieved few days ago from a fellow blogger (http://epicesetcompagnie.blogspot.com/).

How many books do you read in a year ? 2-3
What was the last book you bought ?
Funny Valentine, Amy Jenkins is the writer(about this newswriter girl who does not believe in love.Love? What is it for? she says. I have a man in my bed...) and another book that I am just expecting to get free with my 'Delicious' magazine subscription (Jill Dupleix - Very Simple Food)

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/
Take a definite look at this site - loads 'a' recipes.

What was the last book you read ? Sadly, another 2 girlie books. (easy bed-time reading)
Write down 5 books that mean a lot to you or that you really enjoyed
I like Jewish literature, so anything on that theme and similar (reminding me of my uni years)
Jose Pijoan - The History of Fine Art (10 books) - beautiful books with the whole history of fine arts, pictures. My mum was recieving them yearly for 10 years when I was little and finally, I studied Fine Arts, so they became core to my studies. I loved them as a child and was proud to study from them as an adult.
The Bible - the one, I mean to read. It is fascinating and I think everybody should read it.
Cookery books - of course. When I get more money, I'll surround myself with the ones that I want so much. (e.g. Domestic Goddess - by Nigella Lawson)

Who are you going to pass this to (3 persons) and why ?
My brother as he likes reading.
Couple of friends in salsa class - we like discussions, so it will be a nice topic on our journey to another one of salsa outings.

How does it go? 'Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are.' Hm..

6 Comments:

Blogger LeeLoreya said...

Jo napot. (you have no email link so I'll just babble here). I just realized yesterday that this website was one of my referrals so I just want to thank you for putting me in your links corner.

As for the books, the Domestic Goddess by Nigella is one of my favorites, she's got a brownies recipe in it that I've made so often that I can practically make it with my eyes closed. It's very dangerous to make it once because afterwards, at any party or get together, people just beg you to bring a batch of "those brownies", even if you say that you wish to experiment other recipes (the Torta Alla Gianduja is a majestic choco-hazelnut cake with an entire jar of hazelnut spread for example)!

8:23 am  
Blogger LeeLoreya said...

(your main page doesn't show any comments so I'll just re publish it.)

Jo napot. (you have no email link so I'll just babble here). I just realized yesterday that this website was one of my referrals so I just want to thank you for putting me in your links corner.

As for the books, the Domestic Goddess by Nigella is one of my favorites, she's got a brownies recipe in it that I've made so often that I can practically make it with my eyes closed. It's very dangerous to make it once because afterwards, at any party or get together, people just beg you to bring a batch of "those brownies", even if you say that you wish to experiment other recipes (the Torta Alla Gianduja is a majestic choco-hazelnut cake with an entire jar of hazelnut spread for example)!

8:25 am  
Blogger LeeLoreya said...

My messages don't publish so I'm just speaking in the wind...too bad

8:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there must be a problem

8:44 am  
Blogger Zarah Maria said...

Dreska you HAVE to get Domestic Goddess as FAST as possible! It's a wonderful book, don't get me started!

4:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been finding almost all of my sushi riverside here

9:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

online
Online Dating